The IAIS operates with the support of a secretariat under the direction of a Secretary General. The IAIS secretariat is hosted by the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) in Basel, Switzerland. The secretariat is the point of contact for IAIS members, committees, subcommittees and stakeholders and is responsible for the day-to-day functioning of the IAIS.
More specifically, the secretariat:
- Supports the activities of the IAIS through its committees and subcommittees
- Ensures efficient communication among members and stakeholders
- Maintains and reinforces compliance with IAIS policies and procedures
- Facilitates cooperation with other institutions
- Manages the financial, material and human resources of the IAIS in a proper, effective and efficient way and in accordance with the authorised budget
- Carries out all other functions assigned by the Executive Committee.